Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mom's Cardiologist Visit

Mom had a cardiologist visit today.  It went pretty much the way I expected.  She has some complex health issues that are hard to manage.  She has congestive heart failure, a rapid, irregular heartbeat, diabetes, blood pressure problems, dementia, and she's had a stroke.  The doctor said that giving her medication for all these conditions is like walking a tightrope.  What helps one condition can cause problems with another.  He made some medication changes and ordered blood work.

She's supposed to come home on Tuesday.  Hannah and I are going to sit in on her physical therapy session Friday to get an idea of how her mobility is.  I still need to learn how to administer her insulin.  That scares me but the nurses assure me that I can learn to do it.  She is so unhappy at the nursing home, though.  It's hard to leave her, begging us to take her home.  If all goes as planned, by next week at this time she'll be home. 

After the nursing home van picked Mom up at the doctor's office, Hannah and I went to the library.  It was a nice break.  We haven't been to the library all summer.  Now we have to remember to return our books on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment